In 1889 George Fesq (see Verdelais, 9 Hunter Street) owned vacant land on this corner. The hotel was built in 1890 and in 1891 the Woolwich Pier Hotel was listed here for the first time in Sands Directory. George French was the first licensee. There had been an earlier Woolwich Pier Hotel across the road in Gale Street (see 15 and 17 Gale Street). The hotel was patronised by dock workers living in the vicinity and by sailors from the ships in dock. The Woolwich Police Station was located close by in Elgin Street, well-positioned to handle any rowdy behaviour by the drinkers.
Image courtesy of Hunters Hill Historical Society