Gultrow, 4 Herberton Avenue
Thomas Stubbs’ original 25 acre grant of 1836 extended from Mount Street to Joubert Street south of Church Street (he also held a grant briefly in Huntleys Point and applied for land where Gladesville Hospital was subsequently built). In 1865 J. Le Gay Brereton, medical practitioner, acquired this part of Stubbs’ land as well as the land ‘within 100 feet of high water mark’ from the Crown for £20 1s 3d.
In 1881, Brereton granted a lease of right of way to Tarban Creek to stonemasons Ambrose Ambrosoli, Peter Zanalli and Jeremiah Cronin. In 1885 Brereton cancelled the right of way lease and sold the 5 acres to George Charles Westgarth, solicitor. Also in 1885, lots were sold to Henry Gascoigne and John Ambrosoli.
A rubble stone wall, approximately 1.2m high, extends the length of Herberton Avenue as the boundary between the properties of Herberton Avenue and Durham Street. Stone steps lead down from the end of Herberton Avenue to the former wharf area.