The house was built around 1903 for Stephen H. Weedon and designed by Kent and Budden, Architects (see also 16 Vernon Street). The 1905 Journal of the Institute of Architects of NSW mentions: ‘Mr Weedon’s house shows clever treatment of a rather difficult problem in planning, the building being so arranged that the best rooms command the best views. The upper storey looks somewhat awkward in the elevation, and has the appearance of being an afterthought, for which the architects, probably, are not responsible’. This house displays Budden’s enthusiasm for asymmetry, with a multitude of angles, broken roof lines and hexagonal chimneys. The Weedon family lived here from 1906 to 1914 and the Grave family from 1914 to 1958.
Hunters Hill NSW 2110