This was part of the Brookes estate (see Maruna, 12 Ferdinand Street) which ran from the Lane Cove River to Madeline Street and from Ferdinand Street to Mount Street, except for a small portion below the cliff (now Sea Street). The building was originally two rooms upstairs and two downstairs with an attachment on the southern wall. It was built from local sandstone by Jules Joubert and purchased by wealthy local businessman Henry Brookes in 1856 for use as artisan and servants’ quarters. Over the years it was extended with verandahs and rented out. Brookes moved here when he sold Maruna in 1883. The house was named after Brookes’ place of birth, Walsall (pronounced ‘Wharlshawl’) in Staffordshire, England. In the late 1890’s the property became an infants school and subsequently passed again into private ownership.
Hunters Hill NSW 2110