Entries by Maureen Flowers

3 Futuna Street

Built c1913 on part of Charles Jeanneret’s Wybalena Estate which had been subdivided in 1894. Jeanneret died in 1898 and his widow, Mrs Julia Ann Jeanneret, owned the land on which this house was built by the family for investment. Sands Directory in 1914 lists the first tenant as Winrick Hartmann when the house was […]

6 View Street

This house was constructed as a marine villa facing the river and is shown as occupied by N.J. Crocker in the 1885 subdivision of the adjoining Monte Cristo estate. However it was owned by his wife Juliet Crocker who had acquired the land from Alexander Borthwick Junior in February 1883. It is apparent the house […]

24 Massey Street

Early 20th century Federation Bungalow style brick cottage with tiled hipped roof extending over verandah and gable over bayed front. Contrasting dichromatic brickwork, timber joinery and a bay window with hood. Front garden with early brick wall.

25 Massey Street

Early 20th century Federation Bungalow style brick cottage with tiled hipped roof extending over verandah and gable over bayed front. Contrasting dichromatic face brickwork, timber joinery and hood over bay window. Front garden with early low brick wall.

47 Everard Street

Inter-war California Bungalow style brick cottage with tiled gabled roof and gables over bay fronts. Asymmetrical with facades addressing the street corner. Cement rendered verandah columns and lintels. Front garden with early brick wall.

27 Massey Street

Early 20th century Federation Bungalow style brick cottage with tiled hipped roof and gable over bayed front. Contrasting dichromatic face brickwork, timber joinery and hood over bay window. Front garden with early low brick wall.

20 Woolwich Road

A California Bungalow built in 1927 by Edwin Sinclair Jeanneret, son of C.E. Jeanneret, on part of the Wybalena subdivision. Edwin’s widowed mother, Julia Ann Jeanneret, had lived next door at Wybalena, 22 Woolwich Road, until her death in 1919, and the house remained in the Jeanneret family until 1946. Together with its neighbour Wybalena, […]