Arts & Crafts influenced cottage rendered in local stone and, though modified, it demonstrates the stylistic influences current at the time. Most probably built by Mitchell Waddington, quarryman. An example of the development of land that was essentially an ‘outlier’ allotment in the Pulpit Point area. A sandstone bungalow of similar style to many others […]
Author Archive for: admin
This author has yet to write their bio.Meanwhile lets just say that we are proud admin contributed a whooping 479 entries.
Entries by admin
This house was built in 1890 of timber and is a rare surviving example of early two-storey timber houses in Hunters Hill. Built originally for the Deffell family (see 3 Woolwich Road) it was taken over by Charles Gifford-Moore in 1895 and he called it Alverton. Ernest Byrne and his family lived here from 1922 […]
Land adjacent to the Church was purchased in 1890 to provide for a church hall and rectory and this building was completed in that year. Rev P.R. Spry-Bailey moved here from 25 Ernest Street, which had been used as a rectory for some years. There are scripture quotations in stained-glass fanlights and a staircase window […]
This delightful sandstone cottage has a suitable style and location to sustain its reputation for having been the porter’s lodge of Richard Sim’s adjacent Milthorpe (12 Crescent Street). It seems to pre-date Milthorpe (1872) because a cottage already stood here when Sim bought this lot from W.B. Campbell in 1870. Conrad Nattey, gardener, lived here […]
In 1884 this site, formerly the Seymour Gardens, was purchased for £1100 and later that year John Horbury Hunt was appointed architect for the new church. The foundation stone was laid by the Bishop of Sydney on 30th May 1885 and masonry work was completed by June 1886. A year elapsed before the roof was […]
Lawrence Kelly, gardener, purchased this land from Ambrose Foss in 1866 for £30. Sands Directory of 1875 lists Lawrence Kelly, coal merchant, Ferry Street. This property was let to Sophia and Charles Michelmore in the 1880s, and Kelly lived here in the early 1890s. The pale, finely picked, sandstone is unusual for such a small […]
This charming late Victorian slate roofed cottage was leased by Lawrence Kelly to Mrs Henrietta Wilson, newsagent, who was a tenant in this house in 1888. The land belonged to a Swiss-Italian gunsmith with a shop in George Street, Sydney, Giovanni Battista Modini. His son also became a newsagent in Hunters Hill. In 1924 it […]
This land owned by Thomas Salter (see Salter Street) was purchased in 1879 by Lawrence Kelly. Kelly also owned 28 and 30 Ferry Street in the 1880s, but as the three houses exhibit different styles and materials, they do not appear to have been built by him. The house, built c1880, with its wide bungalow […]
24 Ferry Street and 1B Toocooya Road (Jalna) form one building, now divided into two dwellings. 24 Ferry Street may have been the house of Fred Thurston and if so, dates from the 1860s. Arthur Yates, the seed merchant, possibly lived here in 1889. The kitchen of the Georgian style house is now incorporated into […]
William Rennell lived here in 1889. By 1924 it belonged to Mrs Mary Jane Wilson and was called Mia Mia.
This land was part of the original grant of 1834 to William Morgan. Mr Foss owned the property from 1834 to 1860 and it is believed that the two front rooms were erected before or during his ownership. The timber buildings of Carey Cottage are a reminder of the early carpenters who settled and found […]
This site was part of the land granted to William Morgan on 13 December 1834. This cottage and shop were first occupied in 1867 by James Stephen Stanner, wharfinger and later blacksmith. Prior to this, in 1858, Stanner had been appointed Post Master and between 1858 and 1867 the post office (and a coal yard […]
With its distinctive sweeping slate roof, verandahs and side entrance, this is another excellent example of George W. Durrell’s architectural designs to be found in this part of Hunters Hill (see also 5 and 18 Woolwich Road). This house is said to have been built in 1909 for T. Nancarrow. According to Sands Directory, Nancarrow […]
Frederick Mader, stationer, a German, bought the area at the top of Ferry Street from Didier Joubert in 1857 for £1000. He lived in a stone and timber cottage called Swiss Villa. This was one of Leonard Bordier’s imported pre-fabricated houses erected in the area; the stone portion was the kitchen. In 1873 it was […]
A fine example of ‘Georgian’ style architecture, Oatlands once stood on six acres of land reaching to the Parramatta River. A four acre portion, part of an original grant to J.T. Hughes, was sold to Leonard Bordier (see Yerton Avenue) in January 1855. Bordier bought the remaining two acres a few months later from Ambrose Foss, […]
This house was built on parts of original grants to John Tawell (1835) and John Hughes (1836). The land was purchased from Philip B. Walker in 1891 by William H. Manning who lived in The Chalet nearby. This modified Queen Anne style brick house was built c1906 on one acre which extended to the water. […]
In January 1855, Leonard Etienne Bordier, a young Swiss migrant, bought a four-acre piece of land on both sides of what is now Ferry Street, stretching from the water to approximately Woolwich Road. In 1854 he had signed an agreement with three German workmen (Jacob Arndt was one who settled in Hunters Hill) to bring […]
This imposing brick house with a northern turret and sweeping terraced lawns to Parramatta River was originally a two-room stone cottage. It was William Henderson’s house from 1891 and is an important reminder of the large number of extensive foreshore properties that existed prior to subdivision. In 1900 Joseph Pearson was the owner. He lived […]
This house was built in 1915, one of several Hunters Hill houses built by the solicitor, Mr William Archibald Windeyer. Mr Windeyer subdivided ‘Cuneo’s paddock’, which extended from near Ferry Street to Lukes Bay; he named Toocooya Road after the Aboriginal king of the district around his family’s home, Tomago, on the Hunter River. Alstan […]
This house was built by Joseph Cook in 1907 for Harry Vernon Dixon on part of the Windeyer subdivision. Imposing, on a site above the water, Blen Cathra is one of the best examples of the Federation style in Hunters Hill. In the 1960s and 1970s it was the home of David Saunders, Professor of […]
William Owen, barrister and later Judge, Sir William Owen, moved from 21 Alexandra Street to this new house during 1869 and he and his family lived here until early in this century. He named his house after the family property Ellesmere at Whitley in Shropshire. The house was enlarged in 1888 and the initials W.O. […]
Thomas Cuneo, or possibly his father (see 35 and 37 Alexandra Street adjacent to this site) built this pair of houses. By 1881 Thomas Cuneo was letting Madeira Cottage, a four-room stone house (presumably one of these) to James Stanner, formerly the postmaster. During the 1890s Garibaldi Cuneo, plumber, and Charles Cuneo lived in them. […]
In 1858 Charles Edward Jeanneret (see also Wybalena, Jeanneret Avenue) built both this house with its picturesque Victorian Gothic bargeboards and Fernbank (19 Lyndhurst Crescent). According to a descendant he lived here and at Henley Cottage until going to Fernbank in 1862. The first rating for a house here was the Council’s 1873 records, the […]
Robert Smith, solicitor, was living in Brynallt (now demolished) on the corner of Church and Mount Streets, while this twenty-four room brick house was built for him. An entry in the 1884 rate book said it was unfinished but he was in residence in the following year. Sir Thomas Buckland, director and chairman of the […]
In 1863 Arthur J. Stopps, surveyor and lithographic draftsman, bought a new house from W.W. Billyard which was near the water (now concealed within 3 Mount Street). After 1879 when Stopps’ new house, Loombah, a twelve-room stone house on half an acre in Stanley Street, was ‘in progress’ and had only a part rate, he […]
The house started as a single storey cottage c1857 and enlarged by 1879 by Dr John Gerard, JP, who occupied this twelve-room stone house on 1 1/4 acres which he owned the year before, part of an 1875 subdivision of William Wright’s land (also see Mount Street properties). Gerard had been a tenant of William […]
Cambridge, the second and one of the most imposing of Charles Edward Jeanneret’s houses, was built in 1858 and called Fernbank. It was rated in the Council’s first Assessment Book of 1861 but as the rates were not paid, was probably unoccupied (Jeanneret was also building Lyndcote in Stanley Road; see Wybalena, Jeanneret Avenue). The […]
Imposing Federation-era Arts & Craft’s building originally built as tenanted conjoined houses, now part of the Marist Sisters Convent. The semi-detached cottages were erected c1909 for George Pitt. Arts & Crafts influenced brick and roughcast two storey dwelling with tiled complex hipped and gable roof form. Symmetrical front elevation centres on brick arched port openings […]
Federation-era conjoined houses built c1913 in the Arts & Crafts influenced style that demonstrate the development of dwellings seemingly purpose-built to be tenanted. Uniquely styled identical semis, distinctive prominent, unglazed terracotta red tile roof and central chimney. Chimney rendered with small brick decoration (two terracotta pots). Centre gable with decorative timberwork. Two side verandahs with […]
Now standing on the corner of Woolwich Road and Futuna Street, this house was built c1896 on the 1894 subdivision of Charles Edward Jeanneret’s Wybalena estate, one of numerous houses built for rental by the Jeanneret family. C.E. Jeanneret died in 1898 and his widow Mrs Julia Ann Jeanneret of Wybalena, 22 Woolwich Road, owned […]
Inter-war Georgian Revival style. Demonstrates the ongoing infill development along Woolwich Road as re-subdivisions occurred in this period and bungalow influenced houses were built. A modest symmetrical cottage built c1924, set well back from the road, as are Nos. 27 and 29. Arched entrance with small gable. Important item within the diversity of Woolwich Road […]
This Federation-era home in its generous garden setting was built c1903 for Arthur Oswald Lloyd and originally called Wotonga. Sands Directory 1914 shows Richardson John A. in Kihilla (now Kyhilla). The Rate Book of 1915 lists Richardson J. Cottage Lot 17, 18 – £1400. The house demonstrates Arts & Crafts influences with unpainted, tuckpointed dark […]
Double-fronted Queen Anne Revival/Federation style house similar to Nos. 6 and 8. Terracotta roof, half-timber gable work, projecting gable work and semi-octagonal bay, Arts & Crafts influenced timber detail to verandah. Corner block to Passy Avenue. The house demonstrates the later inter-war take up of these re-subdivided lots. Sands Directory for 1905 lists Arundel Orchard […]
Early 20th century Federation Bungalow style brick painted cottage built c1904 with tiled hipped roof and gable over bayed front. Brick chimney with decorative corbels. Decorative timber joinery in front verandah. Front garden with sandstone wall. A good characterful example demonstrating infill development during the Federation-era of re-subdivisions of former estates. Sands Directory: 1905 Sidney […]
The Farm Attendant’s Cottage located at Tarban was part of the Gladesville Hospital complex and is a listed, largely intact, heritage item. Research indicates that it was the first and therefore the oldest surviving purpose-built institutional building on the Tarban Creek side of the Gladesville Asylum. It has social significance from its association with the […]
Excellent example of a two-storey Federation Arts & Crafts house, built in 1904. Prominent in views from the Lane Cove River and in the streetscape. Shingles boldly used on one side and upstairs open verandah. Sandstone bases and verandah. Sands Directory: 1905 Richardson, John A.; 1911 Benjamin Scarth in ‘Leeholm; 1929 Miss C.V. Scarth in […]
Prominent late Federation-era house demonstrating the subdivision of Cuneo’s Paddock and former Whaling Grants (1836). Appears to have been built by Ruby Windeyer c1915 and leased. Two-storey house with steeply pitched slate tiled roof and roughcast upper storey. Side entrance porch and verandahs. Its style, prominence to Parramatta River and siting adjacent to the landmark […]
Although much modified and having had substantial additions, this Federation-era house built c1909, is in a prominent position on Toocooya Road. It is one of a group of houses, including 7, 10 and 11 Toocooya Road, that demonstrate the development of the subdivision of the former Cuneo’s Paddock by Ruby Windeyer in the early 20th […]
Early 20th century Queen Anne Revival house built to address the waterway in the ‘Marine Villa’ mode. Building low to the street, but prominent from the river with balconies and twin gables. Unpainted and unspoilt slate roof with terracotta capping. Seemingly built or used as conjoined dwellings on land that was, in part, formerly foreshore […]
A substantially intact Federation Arts & Crafts Bungalow with Queen Anne Revival influences built around 1911 and constructed for John Walter Hedges as an investment, although extensive alterations and additions have been done to the rear. Brick cottage with slated tiled hipped roof continuing over front and side verandahs and gable over bayed front with […]
Sandstone house, extended from original 1890s building, addressing the river. Sands Directory 1910 shows William Ward in this location and Mrs M. Ward at ‘Fern Hill’ from 1925.
Early 20th century Federation cottage with Arts & Crafts style derived details, although considerably altered, it maintains its overall form and presentation to the waterway. Uncharacteristically steeply pitched tiled hipped roof as it appears on Government Printer 1904 photograph. Important, with Nos. 19, 21 and 11, for the spatial arrangement and proximity of gardens to […]
Designed by Architect Alexander Jolly in the Arts & Crafts style for Julius and Elizabeth Rosenfeld. Domov was built in 1917-18 at a cost of around £12,000. Julius, who arrived in Australia from Czechoslovakia in 1900, was a leading timber merchant who owned milling operations across Australia and NZ hence the massive timbers used in […]
Early 20th century home said to have been built by Henry Budden c1905. Built largely on land, formerly foreshore reserve, granted following the Robertson Land Act. Large Arts & Crafts influenced Federation Bungalow, the roof of which is relatively prominent in views from the waterways. A rare survivor of Woolwich foreshore of early 1900s in […]
Rate Book 1912: possibly two cottages owned by William J. Fesq £800. The house demonstrates late 19th/early 20th century development of tenanted houses built by the Fesq family of ‘Verdelais’ (9 Hunter Street Woolwich) and tenanted up until 1920. Similar to 3 The Point Road which appears to be contemporary. Substantial double-fronted Federation house. Bracketed […]
Inter-war brick cottage with tiled hipped roof and half-hip over verandah. Symmetrical front elevation centred on verandah. Substantial sandstone basecourse. Front garden with low sandstone wall.
Early 20th century Federation Bungalow style brick cottage with tiled hipped roof and gable over bayed front. Chimney. Hood over window on bay.
Early 20th century Federation Bungalow style brick cottage with tiled hipped roof and gable over bayed front. Hood over window on bay. Front garden with timber slat fence
Inter-war Federation Bungalow style brick cottage with tiled hipped roof and gable over front verandah. Bay window. Front garden with brick wall.
Inter-war brick cottage with tiled gable roof and prominent cross gable over front verandah. Front garden with sandstone wall.
Early 20th century Federation Bungalow style brick cottage with tiled hipped roof extending over verandah and gable over bayed front. Chimney. Contrasting dichromatic face brickwork. Joinery in front verandah.
Inter-war brick cottage with tiled gable-hipped roof and half-hip over front verandah with sandstone columns and balustrade. Symmetrical front elevation and front garden with substantial, original sandstone wall.
This cottage was the last remaining largely intact example of homes built by NSW Department of Housing in the early post-WW1 development of the area and was an important example of the returned soldier settlement. Part of its uniqueness was the position of the cottage within the landscape, sitting on its sandstone foundations (quarried nearby) in […]
Built for Margaret Scott Joubert, wife of Numa Auguste Joubert c1925. Inter-war California Bungalow of brick with prominent tiled roof, design of Arts & Crafts and Old English influences. Ornamental brackets, leadlight windows in wooden heavy frames. Important as an example of 1920’s design, unusual on Hunters Hill Peninsula.
It would seem that this seven room stone cottage was built as an Inn in the late 1830s and gained its licence in 1838. Presumably the name Rockend derived form its situation by the rocky edge of Looking Glass Bay. In 1866 it became the home of widowed Emily May Barton whose daughter Rose, married […]
Early 20th century Federation Bungalow style weatherboard cottage with tiled, hipped roof and gable over bayed front. Hood over window on bay. Picket fence with sandstone basecourse.
Early 20th century weatherboard cottage with tiled gable roof and cross gable over bayed front. Since 2005 the front verandah has been extended to the west side, following its original styling.
Inter-war era weatherboard cottage with corrugated steel gabled roof and prominent low pitched cross gable over front verandah. Symmetrical front elevation. New addition at rear.
Inter-war California Bungalow style brick cottage with a tiled twin gabled roof and skillion over front verandah.
Late 19th century weatherboard cottage with corrugated steel hipped roof. Chimney. Symmetrical with verandah. Front garden with picket fence.
Inter-war brick painted cottage with tiled gable roof and cross gable over front verandah. Symmetrical front elevation centred on verandah. Front garden with sandstone wall.
Inter-war California Bungalow style brick painted cottage with tiled twin gable roof and skillion over front verandah. Sandstone basecourse. Cement rendered lintels and trim. Timber joinery in verandah. Front garden with brick pier and metal railing fence.
Inter-war brick cottage with tiled gable roof. Front garden with picket fence and carport.
Inter-war Federation Bungalow style brick painted cottage with tiled hipped roof extending over verandah and gable over bayed front. Rendered decorative motifs. Sandstone basecourse. Front garden with timber picket fence.
A pair of semi-detached sandstone terraces built c1908 on the Sunnyside Estate. They are unusual in construction and contribute to the character of this area.
Sandstone cottage built on land originally subdivided as part of the Sunnyside Estate (1882).
Building was constructed by 1912 and is reputed to be one of architect Henry Budden’s speculative buildings. Brick Queen Anne Revival/Federation Bungalow style cottage with tiled hipped roof and gable over projecting front bay. Slate roof with terracotta ridging, tuckpointed red brick, high sandstone base with arched openings like Budden’s Mornington. Use of sandstone in […]
In Sydney the Fire Brigade Act of 1884 created the official Metropolitan Fire Brigade.
Early 20th century weatherboard cottage with corrugated steel gabled roof. Symmetrical front elevation with verandah. Front garden with picket fence. Discreet modern addition at rear.
Early 20th century weatherboard commercial premises with gable roof. Shop front has period detail with awning.
Inter-war Federation Bungalow style brick cottage with tiled hipped roof and gable over bayed front. Contrasting dichromatic face brickwork. Bay window. Cement rendered lintels and verandah columns. Front garden with early brick wall.
Inter-war California Bungalow style brick cottage with tiled gable roof. Large verandah. Cement rendered lintels and trimming. Front garden with early low brick wall.
Inter-war Federation Bungalow style brick cottage with tiled hipped roof and gable over bayed front. Contrasting dichromatic face brickwork. Bay window. Front garden with early brick wall.
Constructed for Charles Greaves c1917, this eclectic early 20th century two-storey dwelling has Arts & Crafts and Georgian Revival style influences. The building is prominently sited to overlook the Parramatta River and is of a scale, age and style which is unusual on the peninsula.
Brick Spanish style home unusual in Gladesville.
Inter-war Federation Bungalow style brick rendered cottage with tiled twin gabled roof and bay windows. Attached carport. Front garden with brick and timber paling fence.
Inter-war Federation Bungalow style brick cottage with tiled hipped roof and gable over bayed front. Cement rendered verandah columns. Hood over window of bay. Front garden with early brick wall.
Early 20th century Federation Bungalow style brick cottage with tiled hipped roof extending over verandah and gable over bayed front. Chimney. Front garden with high timber slat fence.
Early 20th century Federation Bungalow brick cottage with slate (terracotta ridging) hipped roof and gable over bayed front. Hood over bay window.
A simple transverse gable vernacular timber cottage, built pre-1927, with corrugated steel gable roof. A type of house that is rare in the context of Hunters Hill.