7 Campbell Street
HURWORTH

7 Campbell Street

Selina Walker owned this land in 1871 having purchased from Italian stonemason Ponziano Cavalli. She lived at first in a stone house at the Alexandra Street end of the property. This two-storey wooden house was built in 1901. Selina was one of the 13 children of Dr Francis Campbell, Superintendent of Tarban Asylum, 1848-1868. She was married in 1857 at St Anne’s Ryde, to Dr George Walker and they had 8 children. Walker died in 1870 aged 39. Selina was Superintendent of the Girls Industrial School at Cockatoo Island from the mid 1870s to 1890. She died in 1913.