CUNEO

35 Alexandra Street

John Cuneo (see also The Garibaldi next door) came from Genoa in Italy in 1854. The original part of this building, built by him in 1883, was long used as a butcher’s shop by his son Thomas. In the 1970s this property was renovated and extended to more than double its size; now comprising offices and shops, it is an example of a commercial property developed in the style of the original building and reflects a conscious attempt to preserve the Victorian character of the area.